Connect with us:


Denton County Criminal Defense Attorney | Free Consultation | Phone, Evening, and Weekend Appointments Available

Seal Your Past

A Criminal Record

Many people wonder if they actually have a criminal record. If you have ever been arrested or charged with an adult or juvenile offense, then unfortunately you do. A criminal record can severely impact many aspects of your life, opening you up to greater scrutiny by law enforcement officers as well as hampering your attempts to procure a job or scholarships for college. It can also be embarrassing to know that your employer, neighbor, and/or landlord can find you on a public data website and discover the details of allegations made against you long ago.

We know the laws that allow you to completely erase or seal the records of those unfortunate events of your past. We provide services for expunctions, petitions for non-disclosure, and sealing of juvenile records. We will analyze your unique case and determine the best route for you. There is no reason you should live in fear of your past.

Petitions for Non-Disclosure

If expunction is not a viable option due the type of charge, conviction, or arrest, then you may be able to apply for an Order of Non-Disclosure. Unlike an expunction which basically removes the offense from your record, an Order of Non-Disclosure limits the access to it. The record remains accessible to government officials and can be permissible in certain court situations, but it is removed from public record and is barred from being released to particular private parties.

In some cases, even if you went before the court and admitted you committed the criminal act, you still may be entitled to some protection from the offense being open to the public. While individuals who received deferred adjudication or probation for their offenses may be eligible for an Order of Non-Disclosure, he or she must wait two years before trying to seek non-disclosure for a misdemeanor offense and 5 years for a felony offense. During this waiting period, no new convictions or deferred adjudications (other than fine-only traffic offenses) can occur. Also, not every criminal offense is subject to non-disclosure. Charges like a registered sex offense, aggravated kidnapping, murder, or family violence will more than likely not be capable of obtaining a non-disclosure.

The process to get a Non-Disclosure Order can be complex, requiring notice to be given to every agency you want to withhold your records. The State can also object and request a contested hearing on the matter “in the interest of justice.” However, we are well-versed in how to file and successfully present petitions for non-disclosure. We can evaluate your situation, give you a realistic probability of success and aggressively pursue your right to not have the public know your past.

Call the office of John C. Rents today. We serve clients in Denton and the surrounding areas.